August 1, 2008

Coming Attractions

Here is the time line and the low down on where and when I am going on the first leg of this journey into the AK.

I will leave from Seattle on the morning of Sunday Aug 10 on a plane bound for the AK. I will land in Anchorage later that Sunday where the company will put and all the other Observers up in a place to stay for the next 3 weeks. We will start our training in how to decipher the different species of ocean life that we will encounter while on any of the boats. Each boat will be fishing for something different then other boats, so what it is that I will be surveying for and studying will change depending on the type of boat that I have latched on to.

There I will learn exactly how intense this job really will be. I have an idea of what to expect, then again I have no idea of what to expect. Every week I will need to pass a test in order to prove that I know enough not to look like an idiot, or screw up the research while on the boat. Come Aug. 30th or Sept. 1st I will be shipped to my first boat. Not until that day will I know what port I'm going to, or what kind of boat I will be on. From that point on, I'm kind of on my own.

I will be with the same boat as long as they are out at sea getting their catch. This could last from any where between 3-4 days to 5 weeks. This depends on the size of the boat, the catch, and how quickly they make that catch. No I will not be on any of the Deadliest Catch vessels. Though that would an awesome experience, those boats are just bigger then any of the possible boats I'll be on. The vessels will range from 40 - 100 feet in size.

I will live with, eat with, and work around the crew on board. This is what I am most apprehensive of about. I am in a position where some of the boats really do not want me aboard. The other boats won't mind, but would rather I wasn't there. I will be the science nerd hopping on board with grizzled sailors. My survival on board will hinge on whether or not I can show the man on board that I know what I am doing, I'm not going to screw up or slow down what they are doing, and that I'm not just a nerdy science kid hopping on a boat in the bearing sea because I thought it might be neat, (even if that's exactly what I am). The actual work, and the data entry will be physically hard go long into the night most of the time, but with training I will be fine. The science and research is not what scares me. Finding a niche with the crew, and mentally conquering being by my self for the next 10 or 11 weeks in a cold, wet, dark environment is the scariest part. But I am very excited about testing my self in that way.

To some of you, this may have seemed like an out of the blue, out of no where way to escape. Don't look at it that way, I never have. This job and experience is the start of my new journey, one that I was reluctant to take during college, and directly following. I have a feeling this is going to be exactly what I need to kick start me on my path.

Yogi Berra has said, and my father has reiterated it to me one multiple occasions, "If you reach a fork in the road, take it." And that is exactly what I am trying to do.

9 comments:

mmsnyder said...

Im so excited you are starting a blog during this next chapter in your life. I will be checking for updates :) our blog is www.charliecoopersnyder.blogspot.com I will put a link on my blog to yours. Enjoy this journey... you will do great!

T said...

Hey Casey,
Jim was telling me about this after you golfed together. I am so excited you are starting a blog. It will be a great way for you to look back and remember what you went thru as well as for everyone to keep up on what is going on. Good luck on this journey...sounds intense, exciting a scary! I cant wait to read all about it.

Brigitte said...

Hey Casey,
We will definetly miss you here in Spokane, especially since I have gotten to know you so much better lately. You are a fun guy to hang out with, and I am sure that those sailers will catch on to that too. Know that there are a lot of people thinking about you even though you might feel all alone out there. Can't wait for your next blog! Have fun!

The Franklin Family blog said...

Safe travels! Trav and I wish you the best.

Cathey said...

This is exciting stuff, Casey, and we'll be wanting to hear all about it. You will do great and with your sense of humor, it won't take long for those rough-and-ready fishermen to learn to appreciate you (or at least laugh at you). Embrace the adventure -- and don't forget your Dramamine!

Cathey and Keith

Anonymous said...

Good luck man. Try not to shave very often and it might be easier to fit in with the others. See you when you come back to town.

- Trav

Katherine said...

Wow- Sounds like you are in for an experience of a lifetime. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

casey,

i have one thing to say, and it is important, so pay attention. watch out for your corn hole. you know how those guys can be when they're out to sea for weeks at a time. your brother is right, you better grow a beard and do it fast. you don't want to be just another pretty face to those guys!

ok, now that i got all the inappropriate things out of the way i feel i can start by saying good luck. candice and i are very happy for you, and will be praying for you all the way. we wish nothing but the best for you. we love you.

b&c

Dad said...

Hey Case!
Thanks for providing a window into your journey. I know everyone's wondering how you're doing up there. I wouldn't be Dad if I didn't provide some food for thought. Every change can be progress if you position yourself to drive the change, as you have. Better yet, you have endured yourself to those around you as you continue to optimize opportunities.
The act of catching a fish is the end of progress for the fish, but the genesis of progress for the fisherman. One wasn't ready, one was.
You know you'll be on our hearts as you continue down your new "fork".
(Wouldn't you know the Buckeye State actually has "cornhole" tournanents?)
We love you,we know you're ready!
Mom & Dad