August 26, 2008

Planet walk

I went for a walk one day after class with my Ipod and ran into this downtown Anchorage. A giant Sun. Naturally my curiosity spiked and I had to see what the heck this was. Next to this sun is a Kiosk of information on the solar system. Ameditly I thought to myself, "This is my kind of town." It only gets better, or nerdier depending on the size of your inner science nerd, there is something called a light year walk through downtown Anchorage and around the bay. Here's how it works, if you walk at a normal pace you will reach each planet in the amount of minutes it takes for the light of the sun to reach the planet. Exciting, I know. Also, the planets are constructed in their relative size to that of the Sun and each other. Did I mention this is my kind of city. I made my way to Mars which is at the end of the downtown area and leads you to a trail around Turnagain Arm which is the bay on the outside part of the city. I had already been out for awhile, and I walked down the trail for a bit, but had to turn around to get back to do some homework. The trail takes you all the way around the bay to a look out point right where Pluto would be, 11 miles away from downtown. One of the many paved trails around the outside of the city. There is more paved trails within the county limits of Anchorage than any other county in the USA. This little innovation to get tourists to see more of the trails, makes my inner science nerd smile.



- Casey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love looking through the window into your world. Glad to see that you are enjoying what AK's Nature has to offer. Keep up the good work and hope at some point you have the time to take that train ride. Mom