November 8, 2008

November Duce

November 2nd

I'm tired. Every day is the same. How long I work and at what time changes, but the work is the same, counting fish. What's for lunch and dinner changes, but food is running out and Rueben is having to get creative, or just give out fried foods. Chicken or fish and rice, no matter how good it is, you can only have so many days in a row. The boat didn't expect to still be fishing. They though they would be home by Halloween, and we still another week maybe yet.

The sun isn't rising until 10:30, and then it sets by 4:00. All though, each are pretty epic on the clear days. But even those, getting lost in a daze opportunities, are becoming mundane. I've run through all the books I've brought with me. I took some music from the mate a month ago, and I've gone through all of that. I was saved by finding a book hiding in a nook in my stateroom. That was two days ago, and I'm almost through with it.

This is day 38 . . . day 38 . . .

Two days ago, on Halloween, two of the deck hands made makeshift halloween costumes. Something I had thought about doing, but lost motivation after finding little materials to construct my idea of a fish cop. One made a mask out of card board and the other wrapped himself in toilet paper. They then went trick or treating (or as my Vietnamese friend says it, "crick and greet" at least thats what I thought he was saying until I told him the real phrase) to the cooks room, for he was the only one on board with any candy left. And then it was back to work.

These guys have been out here now for over 3 months, and some are staying for another 3 weeks after the season ends. Then they all come back for the next season that starts right after Christmas, for another 6 to 10 weeks. Then they are off 'til August. But a mix of weird hunger cravings, homesickness, caffein and nicotine withdrawals, and cabin fever has some of the crew stirring and acting a little senile. The older horses are just tired and draggin'.

When the sun is out though, the boat gets hit with a shot of adrenaline. In an instant, the work picks up, fish seem to start biting, and factory ipod seems to being playing all the right songs to sing a long to. Then the sun sets and the air becomes bitter cold with a breeze. Like someone flushed the toilet while you were in the middle of applying your shampoo in the shower, only the hot water doesn't return and you stay wet until the shift is over.

Just as this Groundhog day of a life that we live is getting to me, the cook brings out white cake with white frosting and sprinkles. Oh was it good. Life is delicious on a boat.

The moral of this story, never underestimate the power of cake.

- Casey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Casey-
Glad to see your post - been checking every few days or so. Had a close call a couple weeks ago - had me worried at least. If you didn't hear about it I'll tell you later. Love the updates (although my mental red pen comes out occasionally) A rebuilding Michigan team just isn't as fun without you around. Stay safe and get home soon.

Anonymous said...

Casey
I think everyone knows how much you love cake. It is good to read about your current happenings. I also have been checking this quite often and started counting how many days it has been. 38 days on a boat, WOW. You are either going to be insanely mentally tough when you come back or just insane. Either way, it will be great to see you. Stay safe and keep working hard buddy.

Anonymous said...

Love the new look! Any bets on how long you keep the hair? So glad to hear from you & to know you are safe and sound. Kept checking the Blog and thinking he has to be in Port some time soon. Anxious to see the pictures that go with the stories. Be it (yawn) Ohio, Spokane or Seattle we're excited to see you soon Kiddo. Love you, Mom

Dad said...

Hey Case!
I think it's really cool that you're getting such a variety of experiences with different boats, people, and wildlife. It is great that you're sharing it with all of us in the "lower 48'. I'm sure it's hard not start to enjoy the Alaskan frontier. I wish I'd had the chance when I was footloose and fancy free. It seeems that the people I've known that have been up there recognize there are plusses and minuses with being remote. You can't beat the grandeur of the scenery and I'm sure you continually wish you had a camera that could drink it all in so you could share the whole shot. We loved the pictures you took and the video shorts of the seals barking. We're really looking forward to the eagle shots and hopefully some shots tof the different crews and captains you interface with. (These might have to be taken on the sly). Have a great ime, know that we're thinking of you, and you're representing all of us that envy your experience.
Love, Dad