November 8, 2008

One Hand for the Boat

Physically I'm not made to live on a boat. True there are taller people, and there are heavier people aboard the boat, but I feel like a giant among the small living quarters. The door ways to all rooms hit me at eye brow level, the shower head hits me square in the chest, and the bed stretches exactly from my heel to point of my head. The factory that I walk through every day has pipes and beams draping at 6 feet high along with pipes and chutes that I need to step and jump over on my way to my sampling port hole. The weather picked up a little yesterday, not much, just enough to make a person sway a little more, and concentrate harder on each step. So yesterday I was carrying a basket full of fish to be put in the discard chute out to sea, when I smacked my head, and it dropped me straight to the floor. I bang my head, arm, and legs all day walking through that factory, none of them had been as bad as that one though. I'm close to wearing a hard hat. I'm not the only one tall enough to take advantage of the height of the beams, but I seem to hit my head harder then the rest. There is motto while on a boat, always keep one hand free for the boat. Words to take stock in. Words I forget and remember daily.

- Casey

No comments: