September 24, 2008

9-13-08

9-13-08

Rough seas today for the first time. I had to stop what I was doing on deck because my scale couldn't work anymore with all of the swaying of the boat. My first glimpse of Poseidon's presences in the Bering. The first mate was telling me that all the greenhorns always want the weather to turn. It is exciting, and I must say that I was hoping for it too to happen on this trip. He told me that after about 30 minutes of it, you've gotten your fill of it and are tired of it. That was about right. after about 30 minutes of it, it just feels like a roller-coaster that you can't get off of. There were a couple of times that I got thrown from one end to the other end in the galley and wheel house. It got a little crazy, 20 foot swells, with water crashing over the bow and the starboard rail.

I found two important things that will help me with the rest of my trip in the Bering from this weather. First, I don't get see sick. I haven't had to use any of my sea sick pills. I was queazy the first day on the boat, but I think I was just really nervous, and I didn't eat all day. Once I got some food and an idea of how I was going to do my job on the deck, I calmed down and so did the butterflies. I did get a little light headed at a point during the intense swaying, but I got some air and was OK. Second, my sea legs arrived today. Life is so much easier with sea legs. I'm not running into people on deck and stumbling into walls in the living quarters. All the little things you do every day are effected by pitching and baying of the boat; Going to the bathroom, showering, pouring coffee, eating cereal, sleeping, typing on a keyboard, writing on a piece of paper, all have to be done a little different and a little more deliberately with concentration to get it done with out spilling or screwing up.

I couldn't do my work in these conditions, so I had the rest of the today and probably tomorrow to spend in the wheel house or in a book. I finished a book I started just before coming to Alaska, and took some time to go stand on the side of the boat and watch the crashing of the wake into the side of the boat. I came to a realization that I love being at sea. I love the smell and the crisp air feels quenching against my face. It reminds me of peaceful times, even with the 20 foot swells that are raging in front of me, it feels peaceful. I'm going to have to live near water. At least a short drive away from it. I'm not saying that I love life on a boat. I don't think I see myself doing this for years to come. I'm just enjoying being around water. Maybe I'll get tired of it when May comes around.

- Casey

No comments: