September 24, 2008

9-23-08

9-23-08

This is my 20th day aboard the Pavlof, and it is my last. Tomorrow morning we'll be in Dutch Harbor. We are steaming in slowly to give the deck hands enough time to clean the boat, burn the trash, and get the rest they've deserved. It's crazy watching how slowly the water is passing by on the side of Pavlof as we work towards our destination of an island, 140 nautical miles to the southwest. The boats top speed is around 6-7 nots, but with all the weight of product and pots on board, its cut down to the leisurely coasting speed of 3 nots. It has been six days since the last day that I was able to do any work besides paperwork. I haven't been out on deck or done anything athletic (not counting stabilizing myself while starring down a urinal in rough seas), in that time. I feel like I have been a calf being raised in captivity in order to make veal. I have passed the time by drinking what is called a Cadillac; half coffee, half hot cocoa, and watching movies and starring out at the sea.

I hear stories all the time, every day on board of the bars in Dutch Harbor. One called the Elbowroom was in the Genus Book of World Records for the deadliest bar 5 or 10 years ago. There were more people killed due to fights at this bar in a year then in any other bar in the States. I have been told that no one has been killed in a fight there for a good amount of time, but that it is not uncommon to see a flying bar stool after a tough crab season. I'm need to check it out. I'll be the beard and curls under the WSU hat in the corner with one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.

This has been a great first boat to be aboard. I had no problems whatsoever with the crew, minus some awkwardness. There is of course some growing tensions between some of the crew members. I supposed it would that way with anyone that you sheared this close of quarters with for 3 weeks with no real escape. All and all, I am going to miss busting chops with a couple of the crew members, and will wonder how some of them are getting along months down the road. I will look for them in Dutch come A-Season, January, (this was B-Season they just got done fishing). Now it's on to boat number two. A whole new set of obstacles and challenges with the job and people I will be forced to sleep and live amongst in close quarters. It feels like I've been out at sea for a long time, but my contract isn't even a third of the way over. 21 days down, 69 possible deployment days to go.

- Casey

No comments: