September 24, 2008

9-3-08

9-3-08

I called my employer, and they could not get a hold of the boat by 9 am, and told me to call again at noon to see where they were. With this news, Greg asked if Lou and I would like to go out with him to retrieve some thermometers he had in the bay of St. Paul. Lou told me that I should never turn down a chance to go in the boat with Greg, she hadn't gone yet, and was always jealous of the others that went with him. So I took her advice and went along. Cold water, windy day, and over cast, but I still loved the feeling of the crisp, quenching air that comes across your face when only in a boat. He put me to work though pulling up the anchors from the bottom of the bay in two different locations. Once we got those up, it was time for a little joy ride.

He took Lou and I around to spot where a lot of the birds he watches and counts were rousting. There were also fur seals scattered every where on the rocky beach as well. Greg, Lou and I were in a 12 foot rubber raft with a motor strapped to the back of it, slowly going through a bunch of swimming and jug handling seals who were curious as to who we were. It was crazy. The seals were swimming right next to the boat, popping up and down to give us a look, and then swimming back. Just as that one left, the next one would pop its head up and swim with us for a bit. Lou took some pictures, I forgot my camera, I hope she gets back to me with some of those pictures because it was an awesome experience.

Once I got back to the bunk house, I called my employer at noon, and they said the boat was going to be at the dock by 1:00. So packed up for the last time, like I had for the past 5 days, and got in Greg's truck as he took me to the dock to meet the vessel. I got on the boat, met some of the guys and we were off just like that. Said my good-byes to Greg, thanked him for all he had done, put a geeky smile on my face and stepped on to my home for the next two to three weeks.

"Casey, it's good to meet you. I was hoping you were a girl." First words spoken to me as I got on board. I kind of expected that, but it still made me laugh. I found my state room, put my things away, woke up my room mate the cook, and started to try and figure out what I was going to do now. It's game time.


- Casey

No comments: