September 24, 2008

9-21-08

9-21-08

It's Sunday, and either the first day of Fall or the day before. I'm not really sure. When I noticed it was the equinox when I looked at the date on the grease board in the galley, I realized I wouldn't see Fall this year. Spring is my favorite season, but the change of Summer to Fall in Spokane can be gorgeous in some parts. If I was home today, or in the next two weeks, I would probably be taking a walk through Manito Park. Feeding the remaining ducks that haven't flown South. Taking in the Oranges, Yellows, and Reds of the leafs. It's not too hot, you can stole in pants and not get over heated. Yet not too cold that a pullover will do you just find. Find a bench to call home for midday Sunday. Have a book in my lap to glance at and fumble through while I'm not people watching.

This isn't something I did a lot, maybe once a year, but the fact that I don't have to option to find an open space somewhere among trees and an end of summer breeze, to sit and be alone for awhile, makes me long for it. I haven't had anything to do on the boat now for 4 days. The fishing season I was on board to observe ended then. The boat now is in a different location fishing in a different season where an observer is not needed. Even if I did go on deck and take some samples, NMFS wouldn't use them because they don't need them. So I am stuck in limbo on the boat. It would be too costly for the boat to take me anywhere to drop me off so that I can get to Dutch Harbor and onto an other boat, so I am just a free loader wondering around until they deiced to head into port. I'm still getting paid as if I was working. I'm still accruing at sea days which is how or raises are calculated. Once I get to 95 days, my first contract is up, and I get to start spending my money. So really it's to my benefit to just sit back, watch some movies, eat some ice cream, and shoot the breeze with the captain, chief, cook, first mate, or any one that will talk to me. Easiest money I have ever made. Watching movies, hearing fisherman stories and eating cheesecake. I at least two more days of it, maybe 4 or 5. I will have been on this boat with the same crew for 3 straight weeks. I need a beer.

- Casey

No comments: