September 24, 2008

Nomad Between Boats

I am in Dutch Harbor now. The boat road in under the cover of night, and we docked at about 6:00 this morning. And since then I have been hurrying up and waiting in this town. An agent from my company picked me up from my boat and broke my heart telling me that I had a boat to catch. I was getting on a long liner boat. Which means another 20-30 straight days out at sea. But first I had to meet with a NMFS officer to make sure that I know what I'm doing. Turns out I didn't quite so much. My apprehention is warrented, but I know the boat I'm going to get on better, and know that I'll be much more prepared to do my job in this next boat.

I got onto the boat, and it turns out that they wont be able to take off today, engine trouble. They have been stuck in harbor for the last week. So they were really really upbeat. I'm walking into a hornets nest. This type of boat is the hardest when it comes to tact with the crew due to the nature of the fishing operations.

I updated the days that I was out at sea with the Pavlof by dates. I bonded with the crew and the captain, first mate and chief. I really enjoyed being stuck on that boat with those guys. If I get into trouble, and need to make some quick cash for months worth of work, I can call those guys up and go fishin'. I spent the entire last night talking politics, conspiracy theories, energy crisis, economics, travel, crabin' in Russia, aliens . . . This captain has a great radio voice and a face to go with it. He needs his own AM talk show. I don't know if I'll come across another captain like him. I've got so many fisherman stories and jokes that I can't wait to pass on as my own that I stole from this guy.

Tomorrow I will get back on my new boat. We'll take off tomorrow, or Saturday and midnight, you don't leave on a Friday its bad luck. There wont be another update until I get back from this next cruse, so I hope you enjoy my thoughts and descriptions of my time on the Pavlof. This next boat I'll be more focused on doing my duties than my tact with the crew. I doubt the same kind of relationships with the next set of cats will develop. After this boat, I'll be almost there and back to the lower 48.

- Casey

PS, the hair and beard are getting girzzly. I'm going to record some video blogs on this boat. I didn't have a place I could that on the last boat. But on this next one, I have my own bunk room.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew I should have answered the phone @ 2:30 am. Now I know 907 area code is the Great State of Alaska. It is so nice to hear from you and if you need help with the next crew let me know. Nothing like dealing with the mother bear. Keep up the good work and know that we love you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Case: Hope this catches you still in Port. What a great blog, it really helps to have the daily thoughts. I'm envious of the adventure!!!!You'll have a totally different experience on the next boat other than the one constant, the Sea. Glad you're taking in some good reading. Your writing is very good, and I know it comes from reading good authors. Keep up the good work and think of us once in awhile as you're bucking the waves. Don't think of us as you're trying to hit the pot!
Love ya,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey, sounds like you are enjoying the experience quite a bit. We started school a couple of weeks ago and I have some awesome stories about some of my kids to tell you when you get back. I officially have patted down my first kid for a knife! What are they going to bring me next? Hope the next boat goes well and Whit and I are glad to hear it is going well.

Sue said...

Hi Casey,
Your Dad gave me your blogspot address and I have been enjoying reading about your adventures. It sounds like a lot of hurry up and wait and after the waiting a grueling schedule. But what a beautiful place to wait in. I've always thought of you as the sports guy not knowing there was a science nerd inside. I'm enjoying seeing another side. Anyway, have fun and be careful (sorry, another Mom speaks). Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

Casey, great descriptions of your experiences. It makes us think we actually have gone through some of this with you. We are both glad to hear that all is well and you survived the first trip out to sea and without sea sickness! Incredible. I had you pegged as a "pewker" after all we have gone through. Guess you are cut out for it. We miss having you in town but it is great that you are taking on such a huge new experience. Keep it up.

Joe and Ashlee Schultheis

PS- You always knew that beard and afro were attractive but who knew that it would take Alaska happening to you till someone else appreciated it. Take it easy, Cutie:).

Cathey said...

Hey, Casey. Today is Halloween and we haven't had any news from you in some time, so just wanted you to know we haven't forgotten you. I'm guessing by now you probably don't even need a costume - ha, ha. Hope you are having a great adventure - take care.